Book Free Consultation


The Tier 2 General Work Visa is a UK work visa. Considered part of the British Points Based System, this visa is issued to highly skilled workers from outside of the European Economic Area and Switzerland. These workers are required to have a job offer for a skilled job or job on the Shortage List.

UK Tier 2 General

To be eligible to apply for this visa you ought to have a job offer from a British-licensed sponsor. You are required to provide a certificate of sponsorship (CoS), which is issued by the employer as proof. As a Tier 2 General Work Visa holder, you will be authorized to travel outside the country while on this visa. As well, you can bring your dependents along to the UK on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa. 

Tier 2 Visa (General) is the route that enables British employers to hire nationals from outside the resident workers for filling specific jobs which cannot be filled by a settled workforce. A skilled and talented worker in any Tier 2 category should not displace an appropriate settled worker. It is the major immigration route for skilled workers to be hired in the United Kingdom.

Requirements for Tier 2 (General) Visa

Tier 2 General Visa eligible applicants are required to score no less than 70 points against the following conditions. These include

  • 50 points for attributes
  • 10 points for the English language
  • 10 points for maintenance

Applicants less than 18 years of age require written consent from their parents or legal guardian and from those who will take care of them in the country.

If the sponsor happens to be a limited organization, the applicant should not own over 10 percent of the business’ shares. This is when their gross annual salary is £159,600 or higher.

Document Requirements for a Tier 2 General Work Visa

To apply for a Tier 2 General Work Visa, you have to submit the following requirements for any UK visa.

Tier 2 Visa Sponsorship Letter from the Employer

The certificate should have a reference number for a job in the UK. It should be issued by an A-rate certified sponsor employer with an accepted Job Salary.

Criminal Record Certificate

This document illustrates if you have violated the law in recent years. You should acquire it from the competent authorities in your home country

Tuberculosis Test Results

These results are required only if you are a resident of a nation that is required to take the test.

Make sure you have a police registration certificate. Also, you need Proof to show you have enough funds to support yourself in the UK.

Tier 2 General Visa Fees

Visa Fees for a Tier 2 General Visa depend on whether you are applying from inside or outside the UK and your citizenship. That is owing to the fact that different fees apply to citizens of Turkey and North Macedonia. Please make note that the application fees for UK visas are likely to change at regular intervals.

Tier 2 General Work Visa Validity

The validity for a Tier 2 General Work Visa is fixed. This signifies you can live in the United Kingdom with this type of visa for a maximum period of 5 years and 1 month, or 2 weeks after the end of the employment contract (as shown in the Certificate of Sponsorship Checking Service).

What You Need to Know

You should have been provided with a Certificate of Sponsorship from a licenced sponsor before being able to work in the country as a Tier 2 General migrant.

Under Tier 2 General, you can remain in the United Kingdom for a maximum of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your certificate of sponsorship in addition to one month, whichever is shorter. Your stay is required to start no more than 14 days before the commencement date on your certificate of sponsorship. You can apply for extending this visa for up to another 5 years, and your total stay is less than 6 years.

You are required to have all of the following to be eligible for a Tier 2 General visa:

  • A certificate of a sponsorship reference number
  • A suitable salary
  • The required English level

Not only can you bring your dependents, but your children under the age of 18 as well. You can even bring your spouse/unmarried/civil partner. For more information, kindly refer to our section for Family Members.

Book Free Consultation

Get the answers you need!

We're here to help. Please follow the steps to book free 15-min phone consultation. Alternatively, you can mail us at

Book Free Consultation