South Africa Critical Skills Visa
- This visa falls in the temporary residency visa stream and allows foreign nationals to legally live and work in South Africa for a period of up to five years.
- Visa’s are granted based on the applicant being able to prove that they hold the experience and qualifications needed in that specific field of occupation as listed on the Critical Skills List of more than 200 occupations for which this skills shortage exists.
- The applicant will not need a job offer on application and may apply for this visa without a job offer.
- Under this visa the holder must secure employment in his specific field, for which this visa was granted, within 12 months.
- The visa holder has freedom of movement between employers, provided that they always work in the occupation for which their visa was granted.
- The applicant need not obtain a letter of recommendation from the Department of Labour
- This visa also offers the bearer the option to apply for permanent residency in the country subject to certain conditions. But can be applied for straight away if the applicant can prove more than 5 years’ experience in their field of expertise.
Qualifying for this visa:
- The applicant is able to prove sufficient knowledge and qualifications to fill a position listed on the critical skills list.
- The applicant’s occupation must be registered with a professional body in South Africa and must be recognized by SAQA. You will have to submit proof of this registration along with your visa application.
- Any foreign qualifications must be assessed by SAQA and translated into one of the Republic’s eleven official languages.
The process involved:
- Assessing the applicants qualifications and credentials
- Establishing that the applicant truly meets the required standards of practice within their occupation
- To maintain discipline within your trade or profession
- You may be required to prove 3 – 5 years experience in your industry
Occupational Categories included in the Critical Skills List.
- Agriculture, Agricultural Operations and related sciences
- Architecture and the Built Environment
- Business, Economics and Management Studies
- Information Communication & Technology
- Health Professions and Related Clinical Sciences
- Life and Earth Sciences
- Professionals and Associate Professionals
- Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
- Academics and Researchers
Contact our specialists Immigration Consultants today to find out if your occupation is listed on the critical skills list for South Africa!