Book Free Consultation


If you wish to become a Swiss citizen, you must learn about a Swiss Residence Permit.

Switzerland is one of the world’s most peaceful nations. Without a doubt, it has been a dream destination for very affluent individuals. Not only does it offer very high standards of living and top-notch infrastructure, but it offers safety, healthcare, and political neutrality as well.

Switzerland is a stunning destination where one can enjoy their retired life, aside from being an amazing one for investment. This European nation has always been the costliest in the world to reside and work in Europe.
Blessed with remarkable landscapes, plentiful greenery, and a peaceful way of living, Switzerland is a great nation that offers a stable environment for non-EU foreign nationals looking to call this beautiful country their ‘second home’.

About Swiss Residence Permit

Available to EU and non-EU citizens, the Swiss Residence Permit plays a very significant role for both who are looking to live in Switzerland for over three months. However, EU citizens can select Swiss Residency based on employment or non-employment. Non-EU citizens, on the other hand, have to be granted a residence permit based on business, investment, or retirement purposes.

With a validity of 5 years, the Swiss Residence Permit can be converted into Swiss PR (Permanent Residence) afterward. Furthermore, your family members can reap the benefits of the residence permit as it is considered eligible for spouses and family members, including children.

Benefits of Swiss Residence Permit

The following are some of the great benefits of a Swiss Residence Permit:

Moving to Switzerland

The investor and their family acquire the right to live in Switzerland while the residence permit is valid. A residence permit card generally has 12-month validity. However, it can be extended if you reside in a European nation for 183 days a year.

Travel to the Schengen Nations without a Visa

Being part of the Schengen Area, Swiss nationals can visit other Schengen countries and spend up to 90 days out of 180 without visas.

Access to Quality Education and Medicine

Schools and universities in Switzerland are considered among the best in the world. The children of the investor can get a great education there. A Swiss Residence Permit enables the holder to get medical treatment in local clinics or institutions of other Schengen nations without having to obtain a medical visa.

Tax Optimization

There are some cases where paying a lump sum tax proves more beneficial compared to a tax on global income. But Switzerland and the source nation are required to have a Double Taxation Treaty.

Citizenship after 10 Years of Residing in Switzerland

The investor and their family can get Swiss citizenship after they live in the country permanently for 10 years. Switzerland’s legislation allows dual citizenship. So there is no need to give up the first one unless it is compulsory under the law of the first citizenship nation.

Children between the ages of 8 and 18 should have lived in Switzerland for no less than 6 years to apply for citizenship.

Who Can Get a Swiss Residence Permit?


  • Must be over 18 years of age
  • Has not resided in Switzerland for the past ten years
  • No outstanding guilty verdicts
  • Ready to move to the chosen canton and not work in the country
  • Able to confirm the income legality
  • Annual global expenses surpass the annual rental cost of the investor’s housing in Switzerland by no less than seven times


  • No outstanding guilty verdicts
  • Has stayed with the investor for no less than three years if the marriage is not registered officially

Children Under 18

No outstanding guilty verdicts

Types of Swiss Residence Permits

The following are the most common types of Swiss Residence Permits:

Permit L for Short-Term Residence

With a validity for up to one year, permit L can be renewed for a maximum of 2 years. Individuals who move to the country to work in a specific firm receive this permit. You will not get this permit if you change jobs.

Permit B for Initial or Temporary Residence

Permit B is issued to EU/EFTA nationals for 5 years. For non-EU/EFTA nationals, on the other hand, it is issued for 12 months. If need be, this permit can be renewed.

If moving to Switzerland to work or study there is what you have in mind, you will receive this permit. You will require a work contract with validity for no less than one year. Or you should be enrolled in an educational institution in Switzerland.

Permit C for Permanent Residence

Only non-EU/EFTA immigrants who have resided in the country for a decade can apply for a Permit C; thus, they can become permanent residents.

For EU/EFTA nationals, and citizens of the US and Canada, the time you need to live in the country before applying for a C Permit is 5 years.

Permit G for Cross-Border Commuting

This Swiss Residence Permit type is issued to workers living in another nation but working in Switzerland. In general, these types of workers commute daily or weekly. This permit requires that they return to their nation at least once a week. It does not grant the holder the same rights as a Swiss resident.

The Swiss G Permit can be renewed yearly, and it is valid for the duration of the work contract. Keep in mind that it cannot exceed 5 years.

Permit Ci

The Ci permit is issued to an inter-governmental organization or foreign embassy workers’ spouses, and their children (up to 25 years).

The permit holder can work in Switzerland for as long as their family member is appointed there.

Permit F for Provisionally Admitted Foreigners

F Permit is issued to foreign nationals who have been ordered to leave the European nation so they can return to their home country. However, they cannot leave because they are likely to be endangered, the order to leave breaches international law, or any other technical reasons.

So, they are likely to be temporarily admitted to Switzerland for one year. Their canton of residence can extend the admission for another year as required.

Also, the cantonal immigration offices are likely to decide to give a work permit to the temporarily admitted foreign national for lucrative employment (it lets them look for work).

Permit N for Asylum Seekers

The Swiss N Permit is issued to foreign nationals whose application for asylum in the country is being processed.
As their asylum application is being processed, the asylum seeker benefits from the same rights as a resident. In some cases, they are likely to be issued a work permit for gainful employment.

Permit S for People in Need of Protection

A Swiss Permit S holder can live in Switzerland provisionally. However, they are not allowed to leave the nation and return. They are not entitled to the rights of residence as well.

Eligibility for Swiss Residence Permit

The following are the eligibility criteria to apply for a Swiss Residence Permit:

For EU Residents:

EU nationals meet the requirements for a fast-track route and privileged access to the Swiss Residency as well.


  • An employment agreement with an employer in Switzerland or becoming self-employed in the country


  • Enough financial means
  • Satisfactory health as well as accident insurance

For non-EU Residents:


  • Evidence of having a genuine link with Switzerland
  • Investment in an organization (to be negotiated with authorities)


  • Employ locals
  • Relocate a business to the country


  • Above 55 years old
  • Evidence of having a genuine link with Switzerland
  • Investment in an organization (to be negotiated with authorities)

Procedure to Obtaining the Swiss Residence Permit

The following is the procedure you need to consider when obtaining a residence permit in Switzerland:

  • Select your option for investment
  • Acquire approval from Swiss authorities
  • Apply for the D Visa category
  • Obtain a residence permit in Switzerland
  • Apply for Swiss citizenship

Documents You Need for Swiss Citizenship by Investment

Here is a list of documents you need for the Swiss Residence Program:

  • Completed application form
  • A valid passport or ID card
  • Proof of sound, moral character
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of financial resources
  • Proof of relationship with family members
  • Ability to bear your family members’ living expenses (if applicable)
Book Free Consultation

Get the answers you need!

We're here to help. Please follow the steps to book free 15-min phone consultation. Alternatively, you can mail us at

Book Free Consultation